Can Vanessa just disappear off the face of the earth already?! This week's episode explored team Jenny, Juliet and Vanessa (in order of relevance) and their quest to 'bring down Serena'. This whole idea, as I discussed last week in my 'Juliet Doesn't Live Here Anymore' post, is absolutely laughable. It's very 'Mean Girls' taking down Regina George, apart from there's no plus size token gay guy wanting his pink shirt back and Blair Waldorf is clearly Queen Bee, not Serena!
<p>Credit to this horrific trio though. I'm surprised they actually managed to achieve so much in terms of damaging Serena's reputation and friendships in all honesty. However, there are a few things that make me grumble about this episode!
1. Surely Serena would have twigged that she hadn't received a text or phone call all day and if she did try and call any of her friends, the caller ID wouldn't have been correct as it was a different number so they'd say "who's cell are you calling from?!"
2. I'm sorry, but even if someone was wearing the exact same outfit as one of my best friends/love interests I'd completely be able to tell that it wasn't her, mask or no mask!
3. I felt so disturbed when I thought that it was just Jenny dressed as Serena, hoping to re-experience the Jenny/Serena mix up of the masked ball event way back when. This made me grimace for a second mistakenly believing Jenny had kissed Dan! Step brother and sister incest is enough for me, never mind blood related. Very relieved about that one!
4. If both Jenny and Juliet chose to wear a wig to achieve Serena's hair - why couldn't Vanessa?! Nope, that useless girl just stayed home.... or perhaps Juliet's credit card could only fund two Carolina Herrera gowns!
5. You can now text a Dean to resign from University?! Doubtful. As if the Dean would give out her phone number to pupils and accept a text message as an 'official withdrawl'. Come on!
I'm not a Vanessa fan (how she bagged real life Chuck Bass is beyond me) but all prejudice aside - what did she even do of note in the plotting?! So she invited Nate round to the loft to see Dan - 'boys in place'.... it wasn't even really an important part of the plot, it would have worked whether Dan and Nate were talking at all or not. She's so Brooklyn - not one ounce of Uptown plotting about her! Clearly Juliet was only using tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber to get to Serena and has now kidnapped her and disappeared off the radar - quite interested to see where this story line goes from here!
My mum couldn't stomach the episode, as she thought it was 'too bitchy' and evil. In contrast, this is back to basics Gossip Girl and part of what I love about the programme! She wouldn't have lasted an hour at the all girls school she insisted upon sending me to for my teenage years!
Additionally, the emotional roller coaster of Chuck and Blair continued and ended on a downer.... I don't know how much more I can take! At least Blair looked absolutely amazing while confusing and frustrating the hell out of me! And on the plus side, Chuck is now free to come and accidentally announce that he's in actual fact in love with me! (And now I wake up.....)
I've spoken before about the idea of underwear as outerwear and how I feel I'm not quite cool enough to pull it off. But throw this look on a body as amazing as Leighton Meester's and bingo, it works! Though I don't know how I felt about her red carpet style this week in that sheer lacy Marchesa jumpsuit, minimal make up and bright purple lips - her on screen counterpart's lace look in this week's episode completely worked.
For Chuck's 'Saints and Sinners' event at The Empire Hotel, Blair literally stripped off her dress and attended in a gorgeous Josie Natori red chemise with black lace detail. Again, providing lingerie envy all round. If I stripped off my dress, you'd be greeted with Spanx.... I don't think it'd achieve quite the same effect!
The Bensoni lace print wrap dress Blair wore earlier in the episode worked a treat in the seduction scene with Chuck (also loved her Marni underwear).
So below, I've found a few pieces with lace prints and embellishment or inspired by a corset structure, which would achieve a sense of the 'underwear as outerwear' look, without having to actually venture outdoors in your under garments! My absolute favourite has to be the black Reiss dress, going to be hard to resist purchasing that for this Festive season! Perhaps I should just ask for vouchers this Christmas and then it'll be like it never happened (as far as my bank balance is concerned, my wardrobe will know all about it)!
*Oasis, Raquel Lace Sexy Dress, £75
*D&G at Farfetch, Fitted Lace Dress, £495
*Jaegar, Lace Pleat Front Shorts, £159
*Topshop, Knitted Lace Open Back Top, £56
<p>*Matalan, Lace and Shoulder Stud Cardigan, £18
<p>*Marc by Marc Jacobs at Net a Porter, Abigail Lace Dress, £490